The Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA), State-controlled renewable energy and energy efficiency lender under the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, has launched a scheme to finance new and emerging technologies that promote and increase the usage of renewable energy in the transport sector. Under the scheme, it shall also provide finance for EV fleet owners/operators and charging infrastructure owners—thus financing the entire value chain of green mobility.
Technologies eligible for financing include “battery energy storage systems (BESS) and batteries, projects involving production of green hydrogen (electrolyzers), fuel cells, manufacturing/ assembling plant of electric vehicles and associated components, and waste recycling units to meet the demands of the renewable energy sector, electric mobility and BESS segments.”
IREDA is already financing compressed biogas (CBG) and bioethanol production projects to meet the demand for sustainable alternatives towards mobility. The new Scheme further extends its mandate for financing the entire value chain of green mobility as accelerating energy transitions away from carbon-based fuel sources is key to achieving climate mitigation promises and energy security objectives for the nation.
Recently, the Government of India set a target of the non-fossil energy capacity of 500 GW by 2030 and Net-Zero by the year 2070. Electricity comprises only around 16.5% of the final energy consumption at the national level and additional efforts are required to reduce greenhouse gasses (GHG) emitted by the remaining 83.5% energy sector. Accordingly, for large-scale integration of renewable energy and increasing its usage in the economy beyond scope of meeting power sector requirements only, there is a need for constant focus and investments in new and emerging technologies to integrate renewable energy usage in the industry and transport sector.
Development of robust manufacturing and deployment infrastructure for battery energy storage systems, green hydrogen, biofuel, green mobility, and charging infrastructure shall play a major role to meet this goal.
This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.
Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.
You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.
Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.